Monday, October 13, 2008

Whitewall Mtn. from the Ethan Pond Trail, October 11, 2008

This is Whitewall, the crumbling west face of Whitewall Mt. In another story in this blog (if you scroll all the way down) I describe bushwhacking up Whitewall with Andrew Reily three months ago (back in July, '08). The long, steep gully in the center of the picture is a direct route to the summit and the way Andrew descended after our climb up the gentler north side of the mountain. I ascended this gully years ago and when I go to where it goes up through the cliff the boulders I was climbing up all started moving downward like an escalator. Needless to say I was scared out of my wits. In July when Andy suggested taking the gully for our descent I chickened out and went down the same way we had hiked up.

No comments: