Saturday, September 20, 2008

A spruce-fir, sub-alpine forest at 4200 feet on Mt. Bond

I began this bushwhack at roughly 4500 feet just north of the main summit of Mt. Bond (4698'). The clouds were down to about 3000 feet when I started so the woods were misty. The forecast was for a chance of rain in the afternoon. I hoped to be back at Zealand Falls Hut before the rain started. The above picture was taken just a few hundred feet down from the ridge, maybe at 4200 feet and shows a typical high altitude, or sub-alpine forest, in the White Mountains. The dominant trees are spruce-fir-birch. The two most populous trees are red spruce (Picea rubens) and balsam fir (Abies balsamea). The terrain here was very steep and a little tricky as the undergrowth was thick and it was difficult to see where I was putting my feet.

No comments: