Monday, October 13, 2008

A moose is a moose is a moose, October 11, 2008

I was tickled to have this large, gorgeous female moose for company for a few hours as I slowly meandered through Zealand Notch. Since I was bushwhacking and quite a ways from any trail I was in the moose's home turf. The moose was slightly ahead of me and down wind so she knew I was there. We were moving roughly at the same speed. She was browsing on hobble bush and striped maple (moose wood). I saw her tracks early on and not knowing the gender and not wanting to run into a large bull I kept a cautious eye for signs. When I saw it was a female I relaxed a little. We eyed each other several times and at one point I came to within 6 feet as I talked softly to her. I stopped and she walked away slowly and then I took this picture. She was healthy looking with a dark, glossy coat!

No comments: